2011-05-09

Perfume Storage: How to Store Your Fragrances to Keep Them at Their Fragrant Best

perfume storage
When it comes to storing perfume, the most well known guidelines are 1) keeping it out of direct light, and 2) storing it someplace cool and dry. My (and Karen’s) first guess for the best place to store perfume was the fridge, but should we really be putting our pretty perfume bottles between the veggies and cheese? Are there better options?

While heat is definitely harmful to fragrances, large fluctuations in temperature can be even worse, so moving your perfumes in and out of the fridge isn’t necessarily better than storing them on your window.

Just like makeup, perfume cannot stand humidity, so the bathroom is out. Also, you want to avoid exposing them to air as much as possible; keep your fragrances closed at all times, and give preference to sprays over splashes. One problem with splashes, as well as rollerballs, is that oils and dirt can eventually spoil the scent, so try to minimize the applicator’s contact with bare skin.

I didn’t know this for the longest time, but it turns out that one should not shake fragrance, and not just to avoid breaking a fragile bottle. If you like to reapply perfume throughout the day, try to leave the bottle at home and take an atomizer along.

The best storage places for our nice smelling friends are train cases, storage boxes, closet shelves and the like -– places away from direct light, heat and humidity, and where they won’t get moved around too much.

Although I’m sad that I shouldn’t put all the pretty bottles on display on my vanity table, with so many options for cute storage boxes, I’m sure I’ll find something I like!

[Source:makeupandbeautyblog.com]

20 comments:

Meredith Simonds said...

Wow, I never imagined there was so much to consider when it comes to caring for perfume. Glad to have some sort of criteria for deciding on sprays vs. splashes. Do you know if all of the same tips apply to homemade perfumes made from essential oils? They are my faves.

testosterone therapy said...

you are right....most people put their perfumes in wash room they don't know about the effect of humidity. thanks for making it load in your post.

Aileen

Dental Implants said...

I think the best option is to try to avoid the sunlight. I don't think beside that anything is going to help you to keep the fragrance alive.

obat tradisional gagal ginjal said...

it really is good storage in cabinets and shelves

GT said...

Thanks for the great info. I'm guilty of putting my pretty perfume bottle on my dresser...and right in front of (eek) my window. I love these scents, and from now on - I'm taking steps to protect them.

suwandichen13 said...

i do not agree.
not all people put they perfume in wash room...
many people put in their bedroom...

Discover Collagen said...

I had a friend who had en entire fridge in her room full of makeup and perfume. I opened it one day expecting food and was greeted by all those cosmetics. Was a heck of a shock.

Mark of ex back said...

Wow, is it all really necessary. I am beginning to see what my girl keeps telling me about makeup and getting ready - it is definitely not as easy for women as it is for men :)

Best Over the Counter Sleep Aid said...

Didn't know before that we shouldn't shake fragrances. Will be more careful in the future!

Plastic Surgery said...

Light and heat are factors in perfume storage that are the easiest to cure, by keeping the perfume bottles in their original boxes, or the use of small aluminum screw top bottles when being stored.

jasmine @ ITN Mark teaching agencies said...

Well, I never thought that putting it in and out of the fridge would mean that much. Well, thanks for this post, I've learned a lot.

Caucasian hair colouring said...

I really didn't know that the perfumes are to be cared so much and I agree with the fact that most people put their perfumes in washroom not knowing the effect of humidity, it should be avoided.

karolina said...

Had no idea that you actually should care about where you put your perfume to keep it in the best conditions. Impressive article. :)

how to get rid of blackheads on your nose said...

Recently i store a fragrant in another fragrant empty bottle. After 1week the scent of fragrant change. I wonder why but maybe because i store the fragrant even though the bottle is not pretty dry.

Inner Scent said...

Really great to know these information about perfumery, but most of the time I am up to using natural scents and fragrance for therapeutic purposes like essential oils in aromatherapy .

Procera AVH said...

I had no idea that you had to do all of this to care for perfume. I did not know you should not shake fragrance. Thanks for the great tips.

Rob - Pharmacy Technician said...

Great information. I am always buying my wife perfume and she does not use it frequently, and overtime it goes bad. We will have to adjust our storage.I look forward to advice on the next perfume purchase.

timmy tan said...

i usually keep my perfume and fragrance on the fridge, it can make the lifetime longer and the uality keeps well.

Medicine Of Herbal said...

i do not agree.
not all people put they perfume in wash room...
many people put in their bedroom...

SJR luxuria said...

many people put thier perfumes in bed room

Post a Comment