2008-11-18

10 proven ways on how to make perfume scents last longer when applied

make perfume scents last longer
How to make perfume scents last longer when applied has got to do with when, where and how you apply it. Body mist, body sprays or anything that are light bottled scents don't tend to last long. If you really want your perfume to have longer lasting power then you have to choose those perfumes that are rich in sensual notes such as oriental’s /ambers with vanilla ( Samsara, Angel, Spellbound, Coco, Shalimar) or chypres’ with oakmoss and bergamot (Femme , Miss Dior, Mitsouko,).



Here are some 10 proven ways on how to make perfume scents last longer when applied.

1. Layering the fragrance will make the scent last longer. Layering begins during the shower. Use soap, shower gel, shampoo or conditioner of your desired scent. After toweling yourself dry, slather lotion or fragrant moisturizer to establish the scent on your whole body. Some scents also come in talc form, so dust all over your body before getting dressed.

2. Pulse points play a major role upon where we should apply our perfume. These are the areas that produce heat to which in turn releases the scent of your perfume. The pulse points are located at the temples, the base of the throat, between the breasts, the wrists, the bend of the elbow. Pulse points that you have to pay more attention are at the back of the knees and the ankles. Since scent travels upward, these scent locations are very important. And most people skip these pulse points when applying perfume. Don’t apply behind your ears – instead, go for the jaw line, close to the ear. There are certain glands behind the ears that will interact with the smell of your perfume.

3. One reason why scents evaporate quickly is because of dry skin. Since perfume contains alcohol it also evaporates quickly. Another way to make perfume scents last longer is to apply lotion before applying your perfume. A lotion having the same scent is an excellent way to make your perfume last longer. But if you don't have a matching lotion, apply an unscented lotion. If you decide to use a lotion with a different scent, make sure that it doesn't clash with your perfume. If you have oily skin, a light dusting of fragrance bath powder will help to reinforce the fragrance without adding oils you don't need.

4. When you spray perfume on your wrist, never rub it together because it would "compress" the scent and won't allow the scent to develop naturally with your body chemistry.

5. To make the scent long lasting, you have to spray right after you are out of the shower, because your pores are still open.

6. Spray perfume before putting on any clothes or before wearing jewelries. Some perfumes leave indelible stains on clothing and accessories, especially synthetic fibers and pearls.

7. Spray your hairbrush with a favorite scent and run it through your hair.

8. Put a bit of vaseline (olive oil or shea butter would work well too) on the points you plan to spray on. The scent will adhere better.

9. Spray yourself from a distance of 12 inches then step into the fragrant cloud you create. This helps to distribute the scent over your entire body.

10. For Ladies, you can wear a small cotton ball infused with your favorite woman’s perfume inside your bra for a long lasting scented impression. That way you can avoid applying perfume right into the folds of the skin in that area, where sweat can cause irritation.

I hope you find this post useful on how to make your perfume scent last longer. Remember, the trick to perfume application is not quantity, but quality. The longer your perfume lasts when you wear it, the less you have to use it as you’ll find there may not be a need to reapply.
spraying perfume on wrist

Related Content

Never pay for gifts again! Customize soaps, oils and beauty products for your friends.

42 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I definitely didn't know this. I'm linking this article on my latest post.

-Nurse Jen Doll
www.nursejendoll.com
Your Daily Reality Nursing

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jen Doll. I'm sure going to visit your posts as well^^

Anonymous said...

I got the update by email but when I click on the title it takes me to your home page, then it goes right to an advertisement without me clicking anything...hmmmm. I had to quick click on the title again to stay on your page. Could be just a bug, but thought I would send you a note.

Love the blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, Geez I guess it’s a bug. I also subscribe to my own feed thru e-mail so I would know how my subscribers get their email notification whenever I have a new post. I tried to click (just now) on the title to the email I received but nothing unusual happened so far. I’m really sorry for the inconvenience. If it’s a bug, I hope it would be resolve ASAP, but if it is a sign that my blog is being hacked, then I’m in trouble^^

Thanks for notifying me Lisa, appreciate it =)

Anonymous said...

Stopping by here to say hello! have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Nice of you to drop by sweetiepie..Enjoy your weekend as well ^^

LivingShed said...

love it..tnx for the tip..informative indeed

LivingShed said...

hi..great work

Anonymous said...

I hear that keeping perfume in room temp or cool places will make it last longer. Is it true? Make sure it's not sitting in the sun all day or it will go off much faster. I keep my perfumes in a little cupboard away from the sun and I've still got some from over 2 years ago that smell just as good as the day I bought them.

Anonymous said...

Yup, that's true. Keeping perfumes in a dark cool place would prolong perfume shelf life.

Thanks for comment "used cars"

Dwacon said...

Dumping a bottle of it over yourself may also work...

Anonymous said...

WoW, this is a very awesome tips here, especially the tips no.3, 8 and 9!

Anonymous said...

Great tips.

Anonymous said...

4. When you spray perfume on your wrist, never rub it together because it would "compress" the scent and won't allow the scent to develop naturally with your body chemistry.

What? Do you have a source for this? It's the first time I've ever heard such a thing. What do you mean by "compress" the scent? Smashing the molecules themselves? Wouldn't that result in a nuclear type explosion? ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi! thanks for the tips. The next time i use perfume, i will do that.

Anonymous said...

Nice post! Thanks for sharing it. I agree, I already heard before that spraying perfume on pulses really make the scent last long because the scents will be carried away by the blood all over the body. Though I am a bit hesitant at first, I tried it and mind you, it works!Haha.

pregnancy said...

There must be something in moisturisers etc that absorbs the scent. Will have to give it a try.

pasta salad recipe said...

Does number 9 actaully make the smell last longer. I would have thought maybe the opposite

Colloidal Silver said...

Awesome tips, thanks. I've heard that depending on the type of essential oils used and their potency, that will also increase a perfumes scent on your body.

islam said...

i will try your tips.

Jerry @ vintage wedding dress said...

Oh! That's wonderful. Amazing tips friend. My some friends are fond of perfumes. They use many kinds of perfumes and body sprays. I will tell them about this post. Your article might be helpful for them. By the way, thanks for sharing such an informative article. Bye.

Vegan Shop said...

Thanks for the great tips. I didn't know about number 4 - Not to rub your wrists together... but it does make sense.

James Probanden said...

Hi,

thank you for the great tipps. I will try it out later. :-)

Divorce Attorney said...

Wow-I definitely learned a lot from this post. The section about the pulse points was pretty interesting. I'd never thought about why we put perfume where we do but now it makes sense.

electronic cigarette said...

For me, making a scent last was a matter of getting rid of the overpowering smell of my cigarette smoke. I now only use an e-cigarette and I smell much better ;)

Anonymous said...

hi, Here you have posted very nice information about the particular topic. Thanks for sharing the information.

Source: http://acupeds.com

Natural Cosmetics said...

Wow,Thanks to share nice tips.I like your sweet and good tips for women.

pharmacy said...

Yes! all these are proven. And good ideas too. thanks for sharing

indonesin furniture said...

Good Informtion. Nice sharing

gold and silver prices said...

very nice blog...body odor is such a very bad thing...and after read this blog i think i got an idea to reduce body odor...thanks...Dude!!!

gold and silver prices said...

They have a lot of awesome articles on the website and they help you get your article read because you can post your link and drive traffic back to your website.

brustvergrösserung said...

The thing with the cotton ball was a really smart tips.

nail whiteners said...

I have taken for granted you shouldn't rub your wrists when putting perfume on them, but after reading a comment from Serious, realized I have never questioned why exactly we do/don't do that?

Gilbert Chiropractic said...

This is very useful. You know what some fragrance promises a longer scent effect that is why i buy it, but I never knew that there are process or ways to make the scent more longer. I will really apply this one starting tomorrow. Great post!

grayson@best pheromones said...

Amazing piece of info you have here! So insightful and helpful as well. I just helped me and a lot of other followers here on how to smell good for a longer time. And I thought, the pulse points was already enough to last my scent for the entire day..How silly of me! haha... Now, I will put this to practice! thanks again!!

Anonymous said...

I think some of the ideas do the opposite! I am sure that absolutely there is NO relationship between open pores and long lasting perfume!

Discount Perfumes said...

With cologne i have always put it on my clothes, and it does last alot longer. I was always afraid to put it on the skin for some reason it seems more of a girl thing.

Rachat de credit said...

Extremely complete and very excellent tips on how to make perfume scents last longer when applied.Thanks and good job

Anonymous said...

any guys sujjest some long lasting perfumes ----- ah i love perfumes !!

Anonymous said...

What's the best website to purchase good quality yet reasonable priced perfumes in Australia ?

Anonymous said...

i put my perfume in cool freezer?its correct or not?how long will stay in freezer..1week?1month?

Best Perfume For Men said...

In my personal experience I've noticed that, the best long lasting perfumes are usually the ones that have the strongest smell to begin with. I therefore suggest you spend some time in your local perfume shop and trying out different scents. I personally would go for fragrances that combine deep woody notes, but at the same time have a freshness to it as well. This way it doesn't seem too overpowering.

Post a Comment