2008-10-23

Perfume:The Story of a Murderer

Perfume:The Story of a Murderer
I recently watch the movie Perfume: The Story of a Murderer aired on cable TV. I was really fascinated how this film brought the best selling novel to screen. But I may say that the movie isn’t as good as the book which is mostly the case.

This story set in 18th century France where a boy named Jean-Baptiste Grenouille created a very powerful perfume; presumably pheromones . So powerful that his creation can manipulate human emotions.

During his time he was considered as a “freak” since he lack body odor or simply he has no personal smell, but in our times we call him “the man”. He also has an extra ordinary gift of smell. He has the uncanny ability for discerning the individual smells of everything around him.



perfume 01perfume Xperfume mix
His obsession to preserve the perfect scent started when he smell what he called a divine scent. He followed that scent and was surprised to know that it came from a young woman. He killed her to get a better smell of her scent. But after death the scent ceases.

Grenouille then began his apprenticeship with the great perfumer Baldini and have mastered the art of perfumery. Still not satisfied with what he learned he started his journey in quest to isolate and preserve the perfect scents.

Laure perfume
Upon his journey to Grasse, Grenouille once again entranced by the scent of a young beautiful woman named Laure. He then committed series of murder. He murdered women, cropped their heads and extracting their natural scents leaving them lifeless and naked. He successfully killed Laure and captures her scent as his last and main ingredient for his master piece.

mixing perfumecaptive perfumepheromone power

He was then captured and sentenced to death. Before his execution, he damp little of his perfume that overwhelms the crowd. As if they were under a spell. In the movie, the executioner even kneeled before him and said that he is innocent. So powerful, his creation even caused a massive orgy among the towns people who was supposed to watch his fatal death.

killed perfume
Grenouille still not satisfied with his life since he is not loved for who he is but rather he is accepted and loved because of his creation. He then returned to his birth place in Paris where he approaches a group of low life people. He poured and emptied his perfume unto himself. The people turn to him with great desire. They tear him to pieces and devour his remains. It was a shocking and disgusting ending.

Anything that is too much is said to be bad. So, when drinking your beer you have to drink moderately. Same thing with perfumes, apply moderately :)

If you have a powerful perfume that could manipulate human emotions, what would you do?


Related Content

39 comments:

Jane Jane said...

I've seen the movie, and it's one of a kind.

Interesting question...If I had a powerful perfume, I would manipulate Prince William's limbic system to make him head over heels in love me. :))

Anonymous said...

I watched this movie and I think it's the most inhuman and psycho thing that I ever seen before!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bobby, kind regards from Berlin!
Thanks for your comment.
www.aromatisches-blog.de
Erik

Kim said...

hi Bobby..
I watched this movie recently on DVD and I was really impressed..
the photography and acting was top class...
Dustin Hoffman was really brilliant in the part that he played..
I would have liked to have read the book first though...

Anonymous said...

Every time I read the novel first, I will feel disappointed to the movie. :(

Gem said...

Hello! I witnessed the last part of this movie. Interestingly disturbing but dramatic.

Anonymous said...

out of topic.. yo thanks for visiting my blog already added na poh thanks! ok i'll add your site to my list :) hope makavisit ka ulit thanks :)

Anonymous said...

IT was the good movie but it was not as interesting as in novel.

Anonymous said...

Tom Tykwer made this movie in 2006 and it was released on 5th january 2007 I saw this movie it was very interesting and 12 awards winner movie. I think it was just amazing movie.

Sandee said...

Peace to you and yours. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm actually about to watch a movie in a few hours. I might look into that.

www.nursejendoll.com
-Nurse Jen Doll

This Makes My Day said...

Amazing movie, it is one of my favorites! The boy is mentally disturbed yes but the story is still amazing.

Anonymous said...

yet to see the movies...i think i should see it very soon

Anonymous said...

I've watched the movie... it was very dramatic, intense and yes, disturbing especially the ending.

If my perfume could manipulate ppl's emotions, I'd have them stop fighting with each other. :)

Unknown said...

I would love to chat with you about offering a giveaway/contest for your readers! Email me at alwaysamy.etsy@yahoo.com & we can talk about specifics!

Always,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Great movie!

Anonymous said...

.If I had a powerful perfume, I would manipulate Keanu Reeves because he is my platonic love,so he could be my lover :)

Anonymous said...

By the way, haha. We just studied about pheromones today in class. It is all true.

www.nursejendoll.com
Your Daily Reality Nursing

Anonymous said...

This is interesting there is a lot of pheromones research coming out of UCLA right now related to womens reproductive issues. Several have been turned around with large introduction to certain pheromones.

dylan said...

I love watching this movie. Nicely presented even for such a cruel method of creating the best perfume.

Grenouille had a really heartbreaking realization that although he has created a perfume that could instill love in people, he himself hasn't learned to love.

Mhel said...

i'm glad i found your blog a couple of days ago. i never heard of this movie so it's a good thing that i saw your post about it. i haven't watched it yet but i've seen some scenes while fast-forwarding to check that it's a good copy. it really looks like a disturbing but interesting movie.

this is why i love entrecard... i discover blogs like yours!

Anonymous said...

Thank you BlankPixels for your uplifting comment. I'm not a full time blogger so my apologies if somehow I can't post very often. My day job restricts me from doing what I'm passionate about (that includes blogging). But rest assured that every time I come up with a new post, it will be something worth your time. I'm glad you like what you seeing here.

Please feel free to subscribe to my feed so you would be updated to some future posts.

Thank you
Bobby

rebelon said...

i did read book and did watch film,perfect

Anonymous said...

I glad to inform you that is really a nice blog because its my favorite movie. Now i will watch again.

Anonymous said...

I glad to inform you that is really a nice blog because its my favorite movie. Now i will watch again.

Unknown said...

Good informative blog.

Anonymous said...

actually I had! Bought it from androtics, It's called Ammunition. Google it for reference.

Anonymous said...

I love this movie !!!

Anonymous said...

While not as explosively action oriented as some of the competition, "The International" does have one of the best set piece shoot out scenes of recent years, with an extraordinary sequence set inside New York's Guggenheim Museum. It's just guys with guns - nobody leaps through the air with wire-enhance martial arts or relies on some ridiculous electronic gadgetry - and they actually pick up and use the dropped guns. The people seem troubled, short on sleep, complicated, and therefore more real than so many action film characters. It felt to me like Bond or Bourne for grownups - it's not overly flashy or unrealistically suave and sophisticated, it's gritty and dirty and morally grey. I may be fighting the tide on this one, but I enjoyed the movie on multiple levels, not as much as Tykwer's amazing "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" (2006), but as much as anything released so far in 2009.

Anonymous said...

I read the book and I love this movie !!!!

Bingo said...

I read the book a long long time ago I have been fascinated, watched the movie not that much fascinated but I think it is normal after loving so much the book. I

star wars miniatures said...

Sounds like a crazy film... This one went right under my radar...

dental implants Southampton said...

The movie is really over the top, dark and disturbing but that was to be expected I supposed, and in some ways, the book is given justice but take note the movie still lacks some of the important elements that make the book so much more interesting than the movie.

With regards to your thought provoking question on What I'll do if I have such a perfume?...
hmmm...
I suppose I'd sell it in the black market for a hefty price... hehe... evil grin... >:3

Jerry @ vintage t shirts said...

Wow! What a story! I liked it much. I have watched this movie. This movie is awesome. I would like to watch it again now. There is a nicely presented cruel method of creating the best perfume. I would like to read posts like this one. Keep writing. Best of luck.

Jerry @ vintage t shirts said...

Wow! It's a great movie. I have seen it many times. It is one of my favorite movies. I like it very much. I love to watch it any time of the day or night. You reminded me that movie. Now I will watch it again. By the way, thanks for sharing such a great article. Keep on writing such a nice posts. Best Regards!

dentistbrighton said...

this is true..
its very rare to make a movie whihc can be the bestseller as the book unlike harry potter offcourse..

Dentists in Brighton

Dentists in Brighton

Dentists said...

There has been great improvement on making movies.. great movie this one. Dental implants birmingham|Invisalign Birmingham

SmartLIpo said...

The people seem troubled, short on sleep, complicated, and therefore more real than so many action film characters.

pheromone perfume said...

Interesting! I haven't try to watch that movie. Anyway, I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing.


-nickolei-

Post a Comment